Doesn’t mean a thing

Feb - 21 - 2007
Nicole C. Engard

Steven Cohen points us to III’s Flickr account. And Michael Stephens wonders if they actually have read the Cluetrain Manifesto.

So, we have a vendor that is rather infamous in the biblioblogosphere adopting a 2.0 tool and some of the most unique and respected voices in our profession saying “Hey, vendors..wake up! The world is changing…” Interesting synchronicity. I wonder if the folks at iii did indeed read the Cluetrain?

The fact of the matter is – I don’t care if they have a MySpace, Facebook, Flickr, Zoho, YouTube, and ITunes account – I want them to provide the 2.0 tools to their customers. It’s great that they’re out there – hopefully they’ll learn something – but based on the last presentation I attended – nothing is changing. Providing a shell for their legacy software that makes it look a fancy and Web 2.0ey does not make a Web 2.0 application – and it certainly won’t be user (or web team) friendly. Having a Flickr account doesn’t mean they’re going to listen to their customers and open up their system to allow us the control we need and pay for.

Maybe I’m wrong – Maybe I’m just in a bad mood – but I’m not impressed.

1. Meredith says:

Tell ‘em sister! Yeah, I totally agree with you. It’s far more important to change the way they do business than to pay lip service to Web 2.0 by getting a Flickr account. Of course, it’s just so much easier to create a Flickr account than to do something with your product. ;-)

2. Nicole says:

Very true – and is that what we want in an ILS vendor? People who like to take the easy route? Hmmmm

3. Michelle says:

Lip service and service are two very different things. Do you hear that Innovative!?

(says she from a large Innovative library)

4. Meredith says:

5. Nicole says:

6. Michelle says:

(says she from a large Innovative library)

7. See Also… » Blog Archive » Four years to a social library says:

[...] already know that just having a blog or a Flickr account doesn’t mean much (case in point, commentary on case in point, commentary on the commentary). It’s more about what you do with the tools, and if the tools [...]

8. Michelle says:

test to get the error message

9. Michelle says:

which if course that time I did not get, *sigh*

10. Michelle says:

test to get the error message

11. Michelle says:

which if course that time I did not get, *sigh*

12. jessamyn says:

And one of the things that is useful to remember is that making your product “social” and then selling it back to people is missing one of the huge things that got social tools buy-in in the first place, they’re free and your friends are there.

13. jessamyn says:

14. Julian says:

III’s incoming RSS feature made me unexcited. It’s nice, but I can do better on my own. III getting a Flickr account practically put me to sleep. I guess they’re trying to convince more customers that it’s OK to go Pro.

15. Julian says: